Unwanted hair causes embarrassment for many people and removing it is usually time consuming. That has led to the development of advanced laser technology offering the promise of permanent hair reduction from virtually any area of the body. At The Skin Care and Laser Center of Central Dermatology in Chapel Hill, we provide laser hair removal to residents of Raleigh-Durham and Cary, NC, along with areas in and around the Research Triangle. Our trained spa staff is overseen by board-certified dermatologists.
Removing unwanted hair can boost your self-esteem, or simply eliminate the hassle associated with routine shaving, tweezing, or waxing. Request an appointment online, or call (919) 493-3194 to schedule an appointment at our facility in Chapel Hill next to Central Dermatology Center.
How Laser Hair Removal Works
Pulses of energy penetrate the skin’s outer layers and are attracted to the hair follicles’ pigment. When the follicles absorb the laser’s energy, it transforms to heat and cuts the follicle’s blood flow, destroying it. The destruction of numerous hair follicles drastically reduces the amount of future hair growth. The most popular areas for laser hair removal include the upper lip, chin, under arms, legs, and the bikini area. It’s also a popular treatment for men who want chest and back hair removed. Patients may also consider laser vein treatments for further enhancement to areas such as the legs.
Our Advanced Laser Technology
We use the following lasers for hair removal:
- GentleMax Pro® System – This system features dual wavelength technology that directs bursts of laser energy at the treatment area. These bursts of energy are absorbed by hair follicles deep within the skin as heat, causing them to rupture and die. Over the course of a few treatments, enough of these hair follicles are destroyed that patients begin to see significant changes in the amount of hair they have. Because each GentleMax Pro® treatment can be customized to meet the needs of each individual patient, patients of all skin types are able to experience this amazing treatment.
- LightSheer® Diode Laser System – We use the LightSheer to test small areas for patients with darker skin to ensure that the procedure will be effective without side effects.
Before & After Photos
Photos Courtesy of Nimish Patel, MD Ahmedabad, India
- Soprano® Diode Laser – This laser typically requires approximately 6 sessions to permanently reduce hair at the targeted site.
Before & After Photos
Photos Courtesy of Kyle Holmes, MD Davis Laser Center, CA. USA
Advantages of Diode Lasers
We use the latest technology to perform laser hair removal. Our diode lasers offer a number of advantages, including:
- Comfort – Patients are more comfortable during the treatment than with other hair removal lasers
- Versatility – Diode lasers are effective for use on both light and dark skin types, although light-skinned patients with darker hair will see results in fewer sessions
- Speed – Diode lasers can treat large areas of the skin at one time, reducing the amount of time the procedure takes
What to Expect After Treatment
It’s important to avoid prolonged periods in the sun while your skin is healing after the procedure. Some swelling and redness may occur. Treatments must be repeated at regular intervals since only a portion of the hair follicles are in their growth phase at any given time and touch-ups are sometimes required.
Dr. Beth Goldstein, Dr. Jennelle S. Williams, Dr. David T. DeVries, Dr. Rebecca Todd Bell, Dr. C. Lynn Cheng and Dr. Nadia S. Wang are all board-certified dermatologists and members of the American Academy of Dermatologists. At Central Dermatology Center, We specialize in the prevention and treatment of skin cancer, and the treatment of acne and acne scars, aging skin and wrinkles, hair loss, eczema and rashes, moles, cysts and lesions, and rosacea and redness. CDC serves patients from throughout North Carolina, including Chapel Hill, Raleigh-Durham, Cary, and Sanford.